How it all Began

How it all began....
itsourcrazylife
Administrator

How it all Began

Post by itsourcrazylife » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 pm

The first time the Krewe got together for an evening event (this was before we were even a krewe - just a group) it was at Fat Tuesday's. The could have cared less if we were there. I mean they served us drinks of course, but they didn't make us feel welcome as a group. The next year we decided to go to Captain Tony's, partly because they were slightly off Duval St. but close, partly because they had lots of space, and partly because since they were off Duval thay were not very busy. The bartenders and staff were very friendly and told us they appreciated that we came there. It has been a great location for us and we have enjoyed many benefits from our relationship like Bob and Fran said. Also, lake they said, we have lost some of our identity for the parties because they have gotten so big and popular. Captain Tony's is trying to help us put our Krewe name back on it. We need to keep making sure that happens.
1 x
John & MJ
http://www.itsourcrazylife.com
itsourcrazylife1@yahoo.com
No matter what they say I've done; I ain't never had too much fun.

itsourcrazylife
Administrator

Re: How it all Began

Post by itsourcrazylife » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:38 pm

A little more information on this for the people that have joined later and don't know some of the history. The first year when we were at Captain Tony's, someone came up with the idea that we needed something that identified us as a group, mostly so we could find each other since this was before most people could post pictures easily. They suggested something plaid because it was different. Some people wore plaid and they made strips of plaid to give to others to tie around their wrists. The next year, when we decided to go to Captain Tony's, it was discussed and we decided to stay with plaid and have an unofficial plaid party. It was very well attended considering that there was no promotion other than just through our group page on Yahoo. The following year we got in town a few days early. We were planning on the plaid party theme again of course. Then people that were not part of the group started stopping us on the street saying they recognized us and asking if there was going to be another plaid party. People we had never met were saying that they had seen how much fun the plaid party group was the previous year and how everyone had been so nice and welcoming to them. Captain Tony's was filled and the city had to close the street (much to their dismay LOL). After Fantasy Fest ended, John Allen and I were talking and decided we should approach Captain Tony's about making the Plaid Party an official event. We were concerned that because of it's success, some other bar, knowing it was not officially claimed by any venue, might "Steal" the theme and we would lose "our party". And the rest, as they say, is history. :true:
1 x
John & MJ

Friar Fuk & Nun4U
Administrator

Post by Friar Fuk & Nun4U » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:40 pm

WE sure remember a couple of the old pre-event Plaid parties in Capt Tony's and they were a blast! While we had been coming down to FF as FriarFuk and Nun4U since 2001, we were not made aware of the Yahoo Group until 2003 when Bald1 (Chuck and Berta - who sadly have not been able to attend for the past few years) told us about it and brought us to Capt Tony's to meet some of the folks that would soon come to be called the Krewe de Krazy Life named after John and MJs website Its Our Crazy Life. It was then we realized that we knew lot of them already from seeing them at Atlantic Shores and out on the streets. Who could ever forget that insane group that all dressed up as Dalmatians! Since they were all Krazy about FF like us, as soon as we got home we signed up with the Yahoo group. We dove in head first and by the next year we had plaid costumes (the world's smallest plaid bikini debuted in 2004) and were signed up for the parade with the original SS BJ float (a small boat on a trailer - its debut year). The band rode on another flatbed trailer. Fran was on the BJ due to her bad ankle, I was a wheel monitor for the first time and the after party was at the Schooner Warf. I'll never forget seeing the huge cheering crowd waiting for us at the first corner on Front Street ... it looked like it went 100 deep! We also got to go to the 1st ever and possibly most infamous Friday party at Harbor Lights where Mr Boston dressed up as a bride (along with some others) and it included Sybian demonstrations. It wasn't officially called Freaky Friday until 2006 when it was held at Salsa Loca.
Tony 2004.jpg
In 2005 we were geared up to go again with the Krewe when hurricane Wilma hit and FF was officially postponed until December (many of the stalwarts like Ed and Zoe made it down in Oct anyway and even held a now legendary Friday party at Blu .. sadly our costumes made it to the hotel but we couldn't get there since all flights were cancelled). All paid up parade folks were grandfathered over to 2006, as were all the decorations and cases of beads. We were able to change our plans to Dec and suddenly got pressed into service helping to hustle up beads (we got some cases from a KW group that had to cancel) and do the parade. The BJ's trailer was broken beyond repair but John and MJ were able to "borrow" the haywagon float from the Krewe de Cincy. They could not make it down for Dec 05 and don't do the FF parade anymore, so we acquired and used their old haywagon float until we got our present float in 2011. Ef, Bumper and some others were able to literally beat it into shape in time for the parade, John and MJ got some Christmas lights from a local store and we decorated it with Christmas stuff and a big stuffed Santa on top. At the parade drivers meeting Judy, the KW parade mistress for many years, asked people to stand up if they had lost a car, furniture etc. to Wilma. When she finally asked if anyone had not physically lost anything to Wilma, I was the only one standing. That made everyone realize that the Krewe was the ONLY group that made it down for the parade that was not local to the Keys! We had our after party at the original Salsa Loca location that year when Ef brought the bar from his house with many others also contributing to the cause! 2005 also saw the first Official FF Party in Plaid at Capt Tony's where sadly we had a "skeleton" Krewe with a lot of the stalwarts missing, but it was still a HUGE success!
Parade 2005 2.jpg
In 2006 on the first Sunday there was a pirate party at at some long forgotten bar on Truman Ave. It was in the late afternoon (and pretty lame) and some of the advertisements had it starting when it was actually ending so we got there pretty much as it was ending. We were already in pirate gear and decided to go to Capt Tony's with a few other Krewe members. Well a lot of other folks already in pirate garb wound up there too and we all had a great time. Afterwards we talked about doing it again and the seed was planted. We had to cancel FF in 2007 (too many years of good living put me in the hospital with clogged heart arteries) so I don't know exactly what happened then, but the old abandoned Yahoo Group board still has several messages posted before FF 07 about the impromptu Krewe pirate party planned at Capt Tony's for Sunday night (sadly the 2007 posts have been purged from this board). So I'm guessing that pirates having a blast at Capt Tony's on Sunday in 2006 and 2007 inspired Bobby and Sandy to propose that the Krewe show up in pirate gear to help them celebrate 40 years of being together and hold a more organized Krewe Pirate Party on Sunday in 2008. Well it turned out to be HUGE and it certainly didn't hurt that the overall FF theme for 2008 was Pirates, Pundits and Political Party Animals. There is a lot of information on how the pirate party really took off in 2008 by Bobby and Sandy in their 2012 attending thread.
FF06PirateParty.jpg
In 2011 as FF drew closer HulagirlAL (Mary Helen and Anthony) proposed during the chat that we all do an impromptu Little Back Dress night on the Saturday before the Pirate Party. Her original post only a week before FF is still in the Krewe Sponsored Events forum. For such short notice it really took off like a rocket and there were a lot of gals (and a few guys) in little back dresses that night. Mary Helen wanted to do something different the next year but the LBD concept had already taken root with the Krewe and it was just too good not to continue. While originally planned at Hog's Breath, the party spontaneously moved to Capt Tony's when it became immediately apparent that we were totally out of synch with the T-Shirt and Shorts crowd there. By the time Fran and I arrived (amazing how long it takes to put on so little) everyone had already moved to Capt Tony's! Joe and Jason must have suspected we would wind up there because they already had signs made up to welcome us!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Friar Fuk & Nun4U on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
0 x
Bob & Fran
The Holy HellRaisers
Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

WhatSheSays
Krewe Asylum Wanna-be

Post by WhatSheSays » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:04 pm

As newcomers, that's cool to read about the history of the Krewe. Such a fun and great group. Thanks for posting.
1 x

Efrain
Administrator

Post by Efrain » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:50 am

Bob..Great timeline...Love it...brought back so many memories...Thank you for sharing
1 x
Having sex doggy style is like driving in fog at night. If you're not careful, you'll fuck up someone's rear end

I have come to realize that lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...HOLY SHIT....WHAT A RIDE !

Efrain
Administrator

Post by Efrain » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:56 am

This is the repost from BoobyxSandy How the Pirate Party got started...

by BobbyxSandy
"It all started the year before when we went to Capt Tony's between 10 and 11 pm on Subnday night it was empty, after having one drink the bartenders told us since it was so slow they were going to close early and get some rest for the busy week coming up and so it began. I knew there were a lot of other people in town early in the week like us and we needed to have a party for the early folks. I talked to John about our idea of having a pirate party with a costume contest on Sunday night and he talked to the management . They wanted to know how many people would be there . We had no idea ,they wanted us to quarranty there would be at least 100 people and they would bring in a band. With a lot of hesitation we told them we would make the 100 people . Well it is now history , hundreds of people showed up so many that it spilled out into the road and the cops came and tried to keep the people out of the street but the crowd grew so big they ended up blocking off the srteet , which was unheard of on Sunday night. I m/c 'ed the costume contest and rest is in history books , it is now one of the biggest un-official parties at Fantasy Fest and that is how the Pirate Party at Capt Tony's got started. BobbyxSandy"
0 x
Having sex doggy style is like driving in fog at night. If you're not careful, you'll fuck up someone's rear end

I have come to realize that lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...HOLY SHIT....WHAT A RIDE !

Efrain
Administrator

Post by Efrain » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01 am

This is my repost of how it got started from last year...

"Bobby..I sure remember you guys starting the pirate party on Sunday...you mention it on Sept 9th 2008 on the yahoo group and in less than 2 months word had spread like wildfire that even
the Cabbies were telling people arriving in KW that the pirate party at Capt. tony's was the place to be that night.
Who would have thought that it would become one of the biggest parties on the first Sunday of FF week."

Here is the original post on Yahoo group on Sept 9th 2008....

"Sunday night celebration oct 19th at Capt Tony's
Posted By: bobbyxsandy

Tue Sep 9, 2008 1:49 pm

CELEBRATING FORTY YEARS

of Friendship, Lust, & Love

You're invited to join

Bobby & Sandy

in celebrating Forty Years of being together.

On

Sunday, October 19, 2008

8 PM

(island time)

at

Captain Tony's

428 Greene St.

Key West, Florida 33040

PIRATE WEAR ENCOURAGED

THIS IS NOT A ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

THEY'RE CELEBRATING FORTY YEARS OF TOGETHERNESS."
0 x

itsourcrazylife
Administrator

Post by itsourcrazylife » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:42 am

Like Efrain said, even the cabbies were talking about it. We flew into Key West on Saturday and got a cab to The Galleon where we were staying that year. We were talking to the cab driver mostly about Fantasy Fest and about how busy he would be later in the week. He then told us that there was a group that was going to be putting on a pirate party at Captain Tony's on Sunday night and that the cab drivers were letting people know because there was not normally much going on that early in the week. He was surprised when we told him that we were part of the group putting on the party. That was the first we had any idea how big it was going to be.

From September 11, 2008, two days after Bobbie and Sandy's post, we posted this -
"We talked with Jason at Capt. Tony's, who said he appreciated the call and that they are looking forward to seeing us all again this year. He asked if we could get an idea of how many members are planning to attend just so he could see if he needed to add any extra help that evening. Remember, this will be on a Sunday and even though it is the start of Fantasy Fest week, it is usually not that busy of an evening, so they are not staffed as heavily as later in the week."

By October 8 we had gone from is more staff needed to will we have enough people that they can book a band with this post -
"Joe from Capt. Tony's called today about the Sunday Pirate Party. I need to get an idea of how many Krewe members are coming to the party. Joe said they do not normally have the band playing on Sunday night, but if he can justify the expense, he would like to have them there for us. So, if you have not voted in the poll, please do so as soon as possible." When I talked to them a couple days later they said they had decided not to wait on the count from the poll and had booked the band because they knew if this group was having a party there would be plenty of people there. LOL

The day after the party we posted about the success -
"Thanks everyone for turning out at Capt. Tony's last night for the Pirate Party. It was an even better turnout than anyone expected. If you were not there, the place was full and people spilled out into the street. The KW police even had to come by and ask people to move onto the sidewalks because they were not prepared to close off the streets last night. It looks like the Krewe has started another FF tradition now."
0 x
John & MJ

alvinjamaica
Administrator

Post by alvinjamaica » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:57 am

Great reading all the history and nice to know that I was there for some of it.

Keep the history post coming folks. Would love to know who in the group has been going to Key West the longest, who has been attending Fantasy Fest the longest and who has been to the most Fantasy Fests!

Alvin the curious!
0 x
If you show them they will cum!

itsourcrazylife
Administrator

Post by itsourcrazylife » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 am

Alvin, we have been going to Key West since 1983, our first Fantasy Fest was 1990, and we have missed one year, so 21 so far.
0 x
John & MJ

alvinjamaica
Administrator

Post by alvinjamaica » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:14 am

itsourcrazylife wrote:Alvin, we have been going to Key West since 1983, our first Fantasy Fest was 1990, and we have missed one year, so 21 so far.
Hysterical applause from Alvin

WOW!!!! We may have a winner!

I have been going to Key West since 2001. First FF 2003, missed 2 so 8 so far (not including this year to come).

Alvin
0 x

alvinjamaica
Administrator

Post by alvinjamaica » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 am

itsourcrazylife wrote:Alvin, we have been going to Key West since 1983, our first Fantasy Fest was 1990, and we have missed one year, so 21 so far.
Actually John and MJ you have been to 22 already not 21. 1990 to 2012 inclusive of both years equals 23 years, minus the one you missed equals 22 FFs.

BUT WHO'S COUNTING!

hehehehehehe!

Alvin
0 x

SirConch

Post by SirConch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Somebody else will have to put in the years because, I'm an old man and can't remember these things. Back in the late 90's, perhaps as late as 2001, I remember seeing a group online called the MSN Fantasy Fest Group. It was their first year. They were meeting at Fat Tuesday's and then later at the Bull. We met up a few times during the week. The next year, we even had ball caps made up. I don't mean professionally done... standard blank ball caps that had MSN on the bill with glue and glitter. I don't remember when the transition came but we switched from MSN to yahoo early on. We decided that we wanted to enter the parade one year as a walking group. I don't remember how any of us there were but I believe there were no more than 18 of us. When we got to the staging area, we were told that we needed something to keep us all together... a "boundary" of sorts. Since my house was undergoing renovations, I ran home and picked up a couple of lengths of PVC pipe for 4 of us "wheel monitors" to carry. If I a not mistaken, we got rid of the pipes before we even got to the guard shack because they were too cumbersome. The next years were a blur but I believe we entered the USS BJ as a float. The year after that I let slip to the group that I could put a band together to play on the float. We "only need a car trailer" to set up on. Oh, and a generator. How about a generator that works? Could we maybe add a driver that knows how to start and stop without making us all fall over? Uh, we need more space on the float. We need lights. We need an even BIGGER float with electrical outlets and flashing lights and a cover so that we don't get wet in case of rain. and... we need... and... also... I want... are we there yet? and... What? you've decided NOT to use a band this year? Anyway THAT is how I remember it!
0 x

travelino
Fantasy Fest Vet

Post by travelino » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 pm

This will be number 16 for us. Time sure does fly. Back in 2001, there use to be two BB, one on MSN and one on Yahoo. We use to chat on the MSN board as that worked better for that purpose. Most of the folks use to belong to both boards. Some of the members use to frequent Fat Tuesdays. I suggested prior to the 2002 FF, that we have a place to meet and it was suggested that we do that at Fat Tuesday. My wife and I put up signs at Fat Tuesdays, and as John mentioned, it was busy place. We went there each evening and it was hard to find anyone that was suppose to be from the group. So that didn't work very well.

Another aspect of those early years for us, is that costumes didn't really start to show up on the streets till about Wednesday, that being the home made bikini contest at the Hog's Breath and seemed to help bring out the spirit of costumes. Then of course, the long standing Toga party at Sloppy Joe's was a major theme. So earlier in the week back then, there really wasn't much for defining costumes. We found out about Kelly's in 2002 and that fun. Another event that started in 2002 was Red Night at the newly opened Fogarty's. Thus there was a theme night for Wednesday.

Our first parade entry:
Prior to 2002, we chatted about entering the Saturday parade as a walking group. There seemed to be enough interest in doing that, so John applied for the permit. My wife made the long banner we carried to identify ourselves. But when the time came, it was hard to get everyone together, but we managed to have a total of 19 of us. (Yes, I counted them). But we did enjoy it, as we were a small group and were able to interact with each other and the thrill of the crowds yelling for beads was a lot of fun. It was the first time we got to see the parade from a different perspective, seeing the crowds versus the floats.

Attached are a couple of pictures, the first is the banner being made, all the letters were cut from felt and sewed on. The second picture is queueing up before the parade.
banner draft02.JPG
FF02 7Sat 102.JPG

How Plaid got started:
On Tuesday, of 2002, I painted my wife in a white top and she wore a plaid skirt. There were some costumes starting to appear on Tuesday's and we wanted to take advantage of every night. Later that evening, about 10:30pm, we popped into Captain Tony's, which was dead, to use the bathroom. There were two couples sitting on the stools towards the back of the bar. Those woman also had on plaid skirts and they were taking pictures of each other. When my wife exited the bathroom, we asked if we could take pictures too and they all posed together. Heck, 3 ladies in plaid.
FF02 3Tue 035.JPG

As we walked out the door, a light bulb went on (genesis?) I said to my wife, heck, wouldn't it be a kick to get a whole lot of people to dress in plaid next year (2003). I could see all these ladies in those short school girl skirts. My thoughts were that there wasn't a theme for Tuesday, and that Captain Tony's was pretty empty, thus a good place to meet.

After the 2002 FF, we all chatted again on the MSN BB. I suggested the plaid idea and the active chatters liked the idea. I wrote a letter to Captain Tonys to see if they would sponsor it and got no reply. I also contacted the FF organizers and was told only a business could sponsor a theme night, that as a group we could not. So I suggested we just spread the word and show up. The idea evolved to where the guys would dress in plaid too, so it was kilts, skirts, etc, anything plaid. We ended up just talking it up on the chats each week.

There was also a debate as to where we should have our nightly meeting location. Some folks still wanted to stay at their favorite place, Fat Tuesdays and other preferred Captain Tonys. I started a poll and Captain Tonys' won by a small margin. Back then we use to vote on a lot of things with polls and in the end just declared Captain Tony's would be where we would meet.

Some of the others, said to help identify ourselves on the other nights, we should wear something plaid, like arm bands or a bit of plaid somewhere. Bald1, one of the active members back then, said he could supply a bunch of plaid ribbon.

The real excitement came when we all arrived in 2003 and on that Tuesday night, we filled Captain Tony's. It was not so crowded that we couldn't move around. It had a special meaning to all of us, in that we either knew each other from the chats, or had known each other, but for the first time, we had a large group of friends all in one place, having a good time. It was the whole group that made plaid a success.

Like John said, we spread some of that word of mouth. Personally, we ran into some folks that year at Kelly's on Monday night and the lady was in plaid and we told her to come back in plaid on Tuesday to Captain Tonys. I would tell everyone I ran into that we were going plaid on Tuesday night. In that first year, there wasn't any sign in Captain's window, but that couple did show up, as well as some others that were not part of the "group" We repeated it bigger and better in 2004, again, not an official event.;

As John already mentioned, he approached the bar in 2005 to make it a formal event and I think with them seeing its success, they saw the value in it. Unfortunately, that was the year of the hurricane, it hit that Monday, as many of us were en route to KW for FF and ended up diverting or going home. FF was rescheduled for the first week of December that year.

Our parade entry in 2003 included a trailer as a float and our participation grew. 2003 was the year that the group really develped some identity and became a large group of active members.

And it was also a year in my memory where we notice a larger and larger number of youths coming down for the weekend. It was a different and rougher atmosphere and by Friday night, it about pushed us out of the scene. It was too crowded on Duval and the younger folks seemed less interested in costumes and more push and shove. So leading up to the 2004 event, we chatted about creating our own event away from the crowds, mainly because of that problem with the youths taking over.

It was suggested that we do this at Harbor Lights, which was about a mile from Duval on Palm. That had an enclosed upstairs deck that was perfect. The person that did organizer it was Volleypro. He created contests and had small trophies for prizes. It was a blast. Ed and some of his friends showed up in wedding dresses. Everyone seemed to be in a costume. Except for the location being a bit hard to get too, it was a great event and a lot of fun and it only cost $5 per person. Unfortunately, the hurricane in 2005 damaged the place and took off most of the upper deck.

The rescheduled 2005 FF had fewer people, and seemed more like the early years for us. It still had enough activity and participation to be fun, but it was abbreviated. The youths didn't show up in their past numbers. I would say, 2004 was the peek of how many attended in total and then the few years after the hurricane, it was a bit less, and the youth problem wasn't as bad. You could still get down Duval. At this point, its hard to say if the attendance is larger than it was in 2004, overall, or not. For sure, what has changed is that there are more people earlier in the week, and costumes and events every night. Even more daytime stuff during the week than before. And we try and take advantage of every minute, so by the end of the week, we're pretty burned out. We find it harder to stay out as late anymore or walk as far, but considering our age, I think we do pretty well.

I should probably conclude my points, by saying the MSN board died away and the Yahoo board run by John and MJ became our groups focal point. I think that was 2003 or 2004?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Friar Fuk & Nun4U
Administrator

Post by Friar Fuk & Nun4U » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:59 pm

That was an amazing post Frank .. thanks for putting it all together for us! 2003 was apparently when the Krewe really took off and we are proud to have discovered this fun group then! Out here in the country we had dialup in 2003 so it took quite a while to load the Yahoo group but it was worth it! Yes and I forgot that Ron organized the first Friday party but Ed took it over later.

We too think 2004 had more people and things may just be catching up now! When we did the parade I have never seen as many people on the route since (no data before since that was our 1st time being in the parade with the Krewe
Last edited by Friar Fuk & Nun4U on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bob & Fran
The Holy HellRaisers
Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?